Friday, July 07, 2006

Typographic Art




Well, it has been quite some time since I posted on this blog. I wish I was more disciplined about it. How can I change that. I guess my problem is that I rarely have anything exiting on my mind. But here's what is on my mind today.

Typography.

I've always been into typography - the art and technique of combining fonts. Serif, san-serif, alignment, spacing, size, color. It's all so cruital to the outcome.

I whipped up two quick examples of how much of a difference fonts can make. How boring would this text look without the different fonts? The different sizes? The different colors?

Obviously everyone's idea of appealing is different, but it feels like a work of art to make these changes to some simple text. I love scouring the internet for examples of typography. They pop up in all kinds of strange places. Ads. Logos. Product labels.

Another thing that I've had issues with lately is the whole, one space after a period thingy. I like it. Text looks better. Executing it, on the other hand, is not as easy. I have these automatic motor skills that are so ingrained in me that I can't break the habit of putting two spaces after a period. Why is that? I'm trying to break the habit, but it has been a real effort.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?